• WELCOME
    call of dragons is a roleplay set in the province of skyrim in tamriel and the same time frame as the game. when registering, please do so in your character's name and register in all caps. if you could, sign into all of your accounts once a day, thank you. we're a welcoming community, so don't be afraid to say hi in the cbox. feel free to browse through our rules, plot, faq and basic lore threads, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

• STATS
    STAFF
    0 male, 3 female
    ALTMER
    1 male, 3 female
    ARGONIAN
    0 male, 0 female
    BOSMER
    1 male, 3 female
    BRETON
    1 male, 1 female
    DUNMER
    1 male, 1 female
    IMPERIAL
    1 male, 0 female
    KAHJIIT
    1 male, 0 female
    NORD
    10 male, 8 female
    ORSIMER
    1 male, 0 female
    REDGUARD
    0 male, 1 female
    TOTAL
    17 male, 17 female
    UPDATES
    may 12th | with the activity check now over, we have lost a few members, but are already gaining new ones! if you see any dead threads around with inactive users, please post them here, so a staff can move them to the archives!

may 4th | activity check has been posted! please go here for more details. plus, there have been a few new rules added. go here to see them. as well as post your alias to state that you have done so!

april 13th | admin charlie has stopped being a shithead and is back.

february 23 | admin robin hiatus until post-march 9th.

january 22nd | the second activity check has concluded - many thanks to those of you that participated. if you find any dead threads or posts from deleted members, please post here!

january 12th | the awards have been posted! congratulations to everyone to received one or more! thank you to everyone to participated! keep an eye out for our next activity check.

january 3rd | we are now in the voting process of picking our award winners! you can vote here! you have until january 10th to get them in!

january 1st | happy new year from the staff of COD!

december 28th | we just want to thank everyone who participated in the activity check! if you find any dead threads, please post it here! thank you! <3

december 27th | HAPPY FIRST MONTH, CALL OF DRAGONS!

december 19th | we are now starting our very first activity check! please be sure to post or else your account will be deleted!

december 9th | we officially have an open thread directory, which is located here. if you have an open thread that is yet to be claimed, post it here and it will be added!

december 1st | we officially have the beginnings of a playlist! you can listen to it here. if you want to add to it, post suggestions here.

november 26th | call of dragons has officially opened!

• THE STAFF
    charlie

brynjolf
    rosalind the kind
    mjoll the lioness
    dredhwen
    axel the wolf
    valgier strong-heart
    robin

aerin greenwood
    colborn blackheart
    NEREIÐUR
    noriion elsinian
    gabe

asya fairechild
    lirinisa elsinian
    farengar secret-fire
    godryc lionmane
    dìsa
  • AWARDS

TBA
    male

TBA
    female

TBA
    pair

TBA
    thread

TBA
  • CREDITS
    all credit for races, locations, lore & most images goes to bethesda. credit to all location, guild and lore descriptions go to uesp: skyrim, they're amaze-balls. all images used for editing credit to bethesda. all image, graphics and coding editing credit to charlie. mini profile credit to becky of atf. i think that covers everything! please don't sue...

END OF AWARD VOTING
- DAY : - HR : - MIN : - SEC

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post ) ADD REPLYNEW TOPICNEW POLL

In the shadow of the Stone (Farkas/open)
Alasse Dorthonion
 Posted: May 12 2014, 06:39 PM
"MAY IT BE AN EVENING STAR SHINES DOWN UPON YOU. MAY IT BE WHEN DARKNESS FALLS YOUR HEART WILL BE TRUE. YOU WALK A LONELY ROAD, OH HOW FAR YOU ARE FROM HOME."
wendi,

traveler/ healer
altmer
N/A
115 posts
neutral with stormcloak sympathies
N/A
is Offline.

Having been traveling pretty much through the middle part of Skyrim around Falkreath, Whiterun, and Solitude, Alasse figured maybe she should expand the horizon a bit more, and decided to head east...toward the rising sun. She never realized how grateful she was once the bright orb of light appeared over the mountains, and gave a silent thanks to Meridia for its light and warmth. But once night fell, the miniature orb of light within the hilt of Dawnbreaker gave her a sense of comfort, not to mention having her magic to light a campfire to keep the chill and darkness at bay.

Deciding to take the higher road for a better view of where she was heading, the half-Altmer was awed at the sight below: valleys and mountain peaks as far as the eye could see, rivers and lakes gleamed in the light of the setting sun. Deciding to stop for the night, the brunette moved closer, and noticed that there was a strange stone surrounded by candlelight...which meant someone else was here. "Hello?" Alasse called out, quiet yet cautious, in case the unknown visitor turned out to be hostile. Dawnbreaker gleamed brightly, causing the woman to squint her eyes at its brightness before drawing the blade. Hearing something behind her, she turned around...

...and stared into the blank eye sockets of a skeleton.

Gasping in surprise, the half-elf stepped back quickly and used her free hand to cast her flames spell, setting it on fire. But before she could relax, another skeleton emerged from behind the large stone, followed by a rather angry individual. The skeleton she had destroyed with her fire spell had fallen to pieces...only to have the individual chant some spell and rise it up once more. Two could play at that game. Concentrating hard, she called her flame atronarch to fight alongside her, and it went after the two undead creatures, leaving Alasse to face the necromancer alone.

Running a bit low on magical reserves, Alasse tried to conserve her strength as the individual attacked, casting stronger magic than the half-elf had come across. She shrugged the cloak off of her to give herself a bit more freedom and slashed a bit wildly with the gleaming blade; not having any experience in wielding one before made her a bit clumsy. The necromancer only laughed and sent another blast of icy crystals her way, causing the brunette to duck behind a tree...only the blast managed to catch her free arm. She gritted her teeth in an effort not to cry out, but her arm was now numb from the chill. Holding Dawnbreaker close to her chest, Alasse tried to catch her breath. An explosion erupted from nearby, signaling the death of her atronarch. The sound of rattling bones came closer, and she could feel another blast of ice magic being flung toward her. As the reanimated bones came closer, Alasse closed her eyes and swung the bright blade, feeling it connect before there was no more resistance. That just left the powerful caster...so how was she going to survive this?

--------------------
PM
^
FARKAS
 Posted: May 13 2014, 04:11 AM
I howled at the moon with friends, And then the sun came crashing in,  But all the possibilities,  No limits just epiphanies,  I'm never gonna look back,  Woah, never gonna give it up,  No, just don't wake me now,  This is gonna be the best day of my life.
Cass,

shield brother & circle member
nord
companions
353 posts
neutral
werewolf
is Offline.

All righty, here we go, wolf-boy to the rescue! hope it's ok!
Farkas did not fear the dark of night, finding it instead strangely comforting when the light was stolen from the world and all was painted in endless inky shades. It was far from pitch, particularly when Masser and Secunda were as high in the clear sky as they were now; the moons cast an ethereal light that helped the Companion navigate his path. Hitched at his belt, occasionally catching and reflecting the pale moonlight, was an axe that he did not normally carry. It was the heirloom that he had been sent forth from Jorrvaskr to retrieve. The rightful owners would be mighty pleased to have it returned to them and the Companions would be rewarded in gold for their success. It was funny that the Nord rarely thought in terms of his success individually, so deeply entrenched was he in the Companion mindset. All he did was for the good of the guild, for the good of those he considered his family, and Farkas liked it that way. It felt like belonging.

Travelling westward, having followed the sinking sun from the stinking bandit hideout he had come from, Farkas quickened his pace. Whiterun was not far now and there would be banter in the hall of Jorrvaskr – ale, mead, hearty food and good company too. The Companions feasted and celebrated every night as though it might be their last in this world, because there was always the very real chance that it would be, and Farkas was loath to miss out.

The dark-haired Nord was thinking these warm thoughts of home when his sensitive ears detected a commotion up ahead. Not unusual in Skyrim, not in these troubled times, and not usually a good sign. Foes were in more abundance than enemies in the darkness of the wilderness. Frowning faintly, and drawing his greatsword quietly, Farkas stalked forward. The burnt orange light of fire – magic! – shone through the trees up ahead, making his pupils constrict. It was not until he moved closer that he realised just who was casting the spell. A necromancer. Necromancers made his skin creep and disgusted him in ways he could not articulate. Farkas gritted his teeth, a dark look on his face. The Nord distrusted magic of all sorts, of course, though he had come to recognise some of its benefits through seeing his shield-sister Eiruki wield it. Necromancers though, they were a different breed altogether. They reanimated the dead that would otherwise be restful and they defied the natural order (though even Farkas, dim-witted as he was, realised that many would say the very same of him, for the beast blood flowing in his veins). Perhaps they revolted him so thoroughly because, on some level, the Companion feared that he would fall in battle only to be used against his comrades. The very thought of his body being used to kill one of those he cared for, after his spirit had flown...

The blue light of ice crystals came next, followed soon by a fiery explosion. He recognised it as signalling the end of one of those fire demons that mages could conjure. It had not belonged to the necromancer. Just who was he attacking? The eerie creak of leather accompanied by a rattling sound indicated there were skeletons ahead and Farkas had a glimpse – a brief glimpse – of a woman positioned behind a tree. Mind made up, Farkas watched as the necromancer raised a hand, his fist flaming with the fire attack to come, orange glow dancing in eyes that seemed to Farkas to be half-mad, before breaking cover and surging from the undergrowth. With the element of surprise on his side, the Nord swung his sword with expert precision, taking off the man's arm just below the elbow. The cruel laughter immediately turned into a scream.

Farkas thrust his sword, meaning to cut off the wailing cry of pain that seemed to echo all around them. The necromancer, despite his grievous injury, dodged the blade and with his remaining hand drew a dagger. The swipe caught Farkas' throat from jawline to collar bone, drawing a bright red line of blood, before scraping across his steel-plated chest with a wretched sound that made the Nord's teeth hurt. Face to face with the dark practitioner, Farkas shifted one of the hands that gripped the large sword to instead instinctively grab the axe at his belt and promptly bury it in the necromancer's head.

Oops.

The weapon had not been his to use but Farkas hoped, with an apology and explanation to Vilkas as well as a thorough cleaning and polish, all would be forgiven. Hooking his sword over his back the Companion bent to yank the steel axe from the dead man's head, making his black-clad body twitch grotesquely. “Try coming back from that, you bastard...” Farkas muttered furiously as he gingerly touched the cut on his throat, feeling warm sticky blood on his fingertips. A flesh wound, nothing more. Praise the divines it had not bitten deep! Then Farkas turned his attention to the tree line, to roughly where he had seen the brunette shielding herself. His silvery eyes could not immediately pick her out. The Nord breathed a sigh, his breath showing in the chill of the night's air. “If you're a foe, I suggest you run.” Farkas growled, still clutching the axe lest he have need of it. “I've had a long day.”

907 words.

--------------------

Some people don't think I'm smart.

They get my fist. But you, I like.

Application | Plotter | Tracker | Join the Companions
PMWEBSITEAIM
^
Alasse Dorthonion
 Posted: May 13 2014, 09:13 AM
"MAY IT BE AN EVENING STAR SHINES DOWN UPON YOU. MAY IT BE WHEN DARKNESS FALLS YOUR HEART WILL BE TRUE. YOU WALK A LONELY ROAD, OH HOW FAR YOU ARE FROM HOME."
wendi,

traveler/ healer
altmer
N/A
115 posts
N/A
is Offline.

Still clutching Dawnbreaker in her non-frozen hand, the woman tried to remain hidden, unsure on how this would turn out. If only she could warm her arm again, and summon another atronarch! Yet the sword seemed to want action, a chance to do its duty. I'm in over my head... Alasse thought to herself, bracing herself against the tree as the necromancer prepared another spell.

But what happened next was something she never expected.

A scream erupted from the enemy before it was silenced with a sickening crunch. Collapsing to the ground, Alasse couldn't help but sob a little before glancing up at the one responsible. A gravely voice cursed the necromancer before asking if she was an enemy as well, to which she managed to stand up and answer, "If I am a foe, then I make a very poor one..." The brunette made it from behind her hiding place, still clutching the now faintly gleaming Dawnbringer in her hand; after a moment had passed, she sheathed it. "Had you not come along, I dread to think of what would happen. Oh, you're wounded!" In the light of the twin moons, Alasse could see the cut on the stranger's neck. Granted it wasn't severe, but if not treated it could get infected. "I'm sorry for the trouble...if there is any way I can repay you, by all means let me know. The least I can do is tend to your wound..." Even though I have a half-frozen limb, at least I can still do a healing spell... She thought, stepping closer just so the newcomer could see exactly who she was.

Comparing the two, her rescuer was a bit more - make that quite more muscular than most other Nords she had seen. Wielding both a greatsword an an axe, he seemed the type to handle any situation rather swiftly. Alasse, on the other hand, was a slightly wispy individual, with only the sword at her side and a bit of magic to defend herself...or at least hold the enemy at bay. She clearly was not a fighter, but for some reason she wanted to combat the necromancer. Was this Meridia's will calling to her through the sword? At least she managed to defeat the two skeletons, but the necromancer...why did that caster seem stronger than even Malkoran? Her blue eyes gazed at the figure, knowing very well he could end her life if he had the means to, but hoped that her words would halt that action. "I thank you for the rescue; I doubt I would have survived much longer had you not come along. If you'll allow me, I can tend to your wound before it becomes infected. It is the least I can do."

--------------------
PM
^
FARKAS
 Posted: May 13 2014, 10:34 AM
I howled at the moon with friends, And then the sun came crashing in,  But all the possibilities,  No limits just epiphanies,  I'm never gonna look back,  Woah, never gonna give it up,  No, just don't wake me now,  This is gonna be the best day of my life.
Cass,

nord
companions
353 posts
neutral
werewolf
is Offline.

Awkward Farkas is awkward!
Farkas narrowed his eyes when he heard movement up ahead, his grip tightening on the unfamiliar axe handle for the briefest moment. Then his adrenaline-flooded mind actually processed the young womaan's words. By the time she moved out from the shadows beneath the tree and into the moonlight, where he could see her plainly, he was standing at near ease. Certainly to look at her – slender, fair and handling her sword as though she was not quite sure how – she did not seem a threat. What tension remained in Farkas' frame left then, his broad shoulders sagging as his silver eyes took in the woman's pointed ears with mild interest . The faint light of her sword then drew his eye – how curious – but when she sheathed it he respectfully moved his gaze back to her face. Following the Elf's lead, he hooked the befouled axe at his belt and, although it was a pointless exercise, he held out his hands palm-up for a brief moment to show that he too was unarmed. It was hard to trust someone you had just met, but Farkas recognised that in this situation he was the threatening one. Which, for one as huge and powerfully built as he, was the usual.

The brunette noticed his injury and, hearing the note of concern in her voice, Farkas instinctively lifted his hand to touch it again. Yep, still stinging and still bleeding. The spilt blood was congealing, sticky and warm, pooling in the well where his thick collarbones met. If Vilkas had been with him, he might have slapped his brother's hand away. Poking mucky fingers into a cut was a sure-fire way to get an infection. “No need to repay me.” Farkas replied, finding his voice. With a faint smile, he shrugged and explained. “I'm with the Companions in Whiterun. Helping people is what we do.”

Though the suggestion made him uneasy, Farkas did not immediately assent or decline her offer to heal him. Would she use magic? Or a potion? A potion he would be agreeable to, but magic... of that he was less certain. The Companion liked to see where his enemy kept their weapons but if a person's weapon was their hands and hands alone... but the woman's words distracted him from this paranoid train of thought. “You're welcome.” The Nord murmured as she thanked him graciously, shifting his weight almost shyly and brushing back unruly locks of dark hair with his blood-free hand. Though the cut was not going to kill him, it could get infected and leave an ugly blemish. Thus far he had managed to keep the majority of his scars to his torso and limbs, not that Farkas was in any way vain. Scars were an indication of bravery, as far as he was concerned. But by refusing her offer he might be leaving her feeling indebted to him. And what was that saying... something about gift horses and their mouths?

A pause, then he responded, not even knowing himself what his answer would be until he opened his mouth. “Aye, that'd do well.” Farkas at last assented to the kind offer, but was unable to quite keep his eyes from straying almost suspiciously to her hands. He moved closer to, hooking a finger over the steel plating of his breast plate and tugging it down as far as he could manage – which wasn't very far given how securely it was strapped into place – but it ought to be enough for the Elf to see. “Are you... all right?” Farkas asked quietly. Closer now, the Companion doubted his initial assumption that she was an Elf, though her ears still asserted that was precisely what she was. The result was that Farkas, instead of averting his eyes from her as he intended (staring was rude, especially when standing this close together) ended up gazing at her with a bemused expression on his face. There was no way he could think to ask 'what are you?' without sounding unbearably rude and insulting, so instead he simply introduced himself, “The name's Farkas.”

690 words.

--------------------

PMWEBSITEAIM
^
Alasse Dorthonion
 Posted: May 13 2014, 11:36 AM
wendi,

traveler/ healer
altmer
N/A
115 posts
N/A
is Offline.

For a moment, she thought he was going to attack her, but after watching him sheathe the bloodied axe, Alasse relaxed a bit. Granted she didn't mean to look threatening - if such was possible for someone of her stature - but then again, sometimes looks were deceiving. Her disheveled appearance had revealed her ears underneath the chocolate brown hair, and despite that fact as well as the paler than average skin tone, everything about her seemed to scream 'Nord'.

At the offer of her healing his wound, the stranger had declined politely at first before mentioning he was with the Companions of Whiterun. Having been in Whiterun before, Alasse knew of the Jorrvaskr hall, and the random stories of the shield-brothers and shield-sisters that lived there. She had wanted to go and see the place for herself, but wasn't sure what everyone there would think of her, especially since most Nords had a disdain for anything of a magical sort, much less anything that was Mer in origin. "With rumors of vampires lurking in some of the darker places in Skyrim, having an open wound is not a good sign...and I would rather see it tended to rather than be a beacon of sorts to those vile things." Still, the man acquiesced to her request of seeing to the cut - even though it was a minor one - so Alasse slowly raised her uninjured arm - as not to alarm her burly rescuer - and allowed a golden glow to surround her hand.

The healing magic seemed to sing softly as she reached toward the wound, letting her fingertips touch the oozing cut. Concentrating for a moment, Alasse watched as the wound mended without a scar before pulling away and letting the gold aura die down. He had asked if she was alright, to which she glanced over at her still-numb arm and managed a small smile. "I will be alright. I was just taken by surprise, that is all. A bit of warmth in my frozen limb and I will be normal again. Had I known beforehand that there was someone already up here, I would have stayed away from this place, but I was looking for a place to spend the night and figured it would do." It was then she caught him looking over her appearance - something she was used to for a while now - and heard him introduce himself as Farkas. Bowing her head in greeting, she replied in kind. "Alasse Dorthonion. I know that look too well; I understand my appearance is a bit misleading, but my mother is an Altmer from the Summerset Isle, and my father was a native Nord from Skyrim."

--------------------
PM
^
FARKAS
 Posted: May 13 2014, 01:59 PM
Cass,

nord
companions
353 posts
neutral
werewolf
is Offline.

Farkas is such a dolt, haha.
The woman made an excellent point about vampires – bloody vampires – and Farkas found himself nodding faintly in agreement as she came forwards to heal the wound. She moved slowly, as though not to startle him, and Farkas smiled despite himself. Really, it wasn't all that dissimilar to how you would handle an unpredictable wild animal, which in some respects he supposed he was.

It always surprised the Nord just how pleasant being healed could be. A tingling sensation of spreading warmth, a soft light, and then the pain was gone. Naturally Farkas raised a hand to tell by touch what his eyes could not see – that there wasn't even a trace of the dagger wound. It was uncanny, almost eerie. Even innocuous healing magic continued to sit uncomfortably with him, but he was grateful all the same and the Companion murmured his sincere thanks for her efforts.

At the mention of her frozen limb, Farkas thoughtlessly reached out to touch the woman's skin with the cleaner of his two hands. The gesture came to him instinctively, being used to Jorrvaskr and being so close to his shield-siblings. As a Circle member, he looked out for the more junior Companions and the latest recruits were always injuring themselves. “Shor's bones, you're like ice!” Farkas remarked, drawing his hand away as he realised that common propriety had passed him by. He frowned, having nothing to offer her for warmth, and mulled this over as he listened to how she had come to be in this dangerous situation. Not that danger was hard to find in Skyrim, in fact danger almost seemed to be actively looking for people!

Rough as he was, Farkas had decency enough to look at least a little abashed when his very transparent expression was read for what it was – that he was trying to place her race. Luckily for him Alasse, as it turned out she was so named, was unfazed and unoffended and she took a moment to detail her unusual heritage. “That explains it.” Farkas nodded before returning her bow with one of his own, though his was considerably less graceful and his armour clicked faintly with the movement.

Straightening, the Companion looked Alasse up and down, a hundred questions coming to mind all at once but the most pressing was simply, “What's a lass like you doing way out here?” It came out more bluntly than he had intended and Farkas shifted his weight uncomfortably, gesturing to the sword she had sheathed at her side. “Only, that looks an interesting blade, but it doesn't seem you're too familiar with it.” By the divines, what was he trying to say? First he gawked at her for being a half-elf, then he questioned her ability to look after herself and now he was insulting her combat skills! Go on, keep digging, the Nord goaded himself silently, Soon you'll strike bedrock! Farkas could not help but wish he had his silver tongued brother with him at times like these.

503 words.

--------------------

PMWEBSITEAIM
^
Alasse Dorthonion
 Posted: May 13 2014, 02:19 PM
wendi,

traveler/ healer
altmer
N/A
115 posts
N/A
is Offline.

She was relieved when he held still and let her treat his wound. Having used similar magic on herself, the woman could relate to the sensation of warmth and recovery. What she wasn't expecting, however, was his hand on her numb arm and making a comment on how it was 'like ice'. Rubbing it a bit, the young woman tried to ease his concerns. "A bit of time in front of a fire and I will be alright..." Noticing the candles set up in a circle around the stone, Alasse stooped down to retrieve one and held it close but not to close; she wanted to warm it, not set it on fire. Farkas had understood what she had said about being half-Nord and half-Mer, so Alasse had to add, "I am use to such looks. I know most Nords don't think of Mer in a good light, so most of the time I conceal my ears to appear 'normal'...then I help them a bit before explaining who I am. I just want to prove that not all of us are as bad as we're made out to be."

Alasse glanced away, looking past the stone to the valley beneath them. "I guess you could say that is why I am out here. I haven't really seen all of Skyrim, so I've been traveling and lending aid when I can." As for the sword, Alasse glanced at it hanging by her side and grimaced a bit; how was she to explain its origins without him being weirded out? Well, if he's understanding about me being who I am, as well as having a hatred for necromancy... I should tell him the truth. Unsheathing the sword slowly, Alasse propped the blade on her arm to expose it fully. After a moment, she answered his question.

"Meridia. She is a Daedric Prince who abhors undead and corruption in any form. She demanded my help in cleansing her shrine of a necromancer who was tapping into her relic's power to raise the dead. It was a bit of a struggle, but I did it, and this blade - her artifact - was her gift to me in thanks. I confess this has been the first time I used it; normally I have some magic to aid me, but I got taken by surprise." That and I think it wanted to be used...sensing the undead. She thought afterwards, looking rather ashamed. "It was either I keep the blade and use it in her name to deliver death to the undead, or allow some other person to possibly corrupt it. I confess, combat was never my way though."

--------------------
PM
^
FARKAS
 Posted: May 14 2014, 04:58 AM
Cass,

nord
companions
353 posts
neutral
werewolf
is Offline.

we've been fighting with the wolves.
There was something sad in Alasse having to cover her pointed ears in order to assimilate into society. Of course Farkas could understand the guarded attitudes of his fellow countrymen. Fool though he was, even he knew that the Altmer were often associated with the Third Aldmeri Dominion and the Thalmor. There was also no escaping the sorry fact that it was the Great War that had cost he and Vilkas their father's life. But things... things were complicated. Children could not be expected to pay for the sins of their forefathers and those that might initially be assumed wicked were not always so. Werewolves, naturally, were the example that always leapt the Companion's mind. Looking solemn as these thoughts flickered through his head, Farkas shrugged his broad shoulders. “The way I see it, you yourself haven't done anything wrong.” It might be an unpopular opinion but he would stand by it, stubborn as he was. Besides, if what Alasse said was true, and that she travelled Skyrim aiding people, then she had goodness and honour in her. That Farkas could respect, particularly as a Companion. Race and creed were secondary. “A noble cause.” He commented, nodding faintly in approval.

Alasse unsheathed the sword, holding it out for him to examine. If the hardened Nord had had any cause to doubt her tale, told sincerely if not without hesitation, they would have been dispelled by sight of the weapon. Looking it over, Farkas' grey eyes narrowed. He had never seen anything quite of this ilk before. His gaze followed the folds where the blade had been forged, though he did not recognise the method, and its handle was ornate. For whatever reason, he had no desire to touch it. Perhaps it was due to the talk of Daedra, which had discomfited him. Religion, like politics, made the Companion uncomfortable. It was all above his head. There was a time, of course, when he had at least respected Hircine and his gift of lycanthropy but now... well, now Farkas was not so sure it was a gift at all. Meridia was recognised to be benevolent, or at least as benevolent as a Daedric Prince could be. “The dead should stay dead,” Farkas murmured at last, his eyes leaving the sword to meet Alasse's own, “And you could do far worse than be a champion of Meridia.” Of course in the interests of having a quiet life it would be better to not to be charged with such a task but he found he wanted to reassure her somewhat. It must have been the look of shame, which reflected his feeling for his own Daedric affiliation.

Farkas, perturbed by the direction of their conversation, sought to change. He nodded to the blade in her hand. “I could show you how to swing it,” the Nord offered gruffly, “Whatever whistles and bells Meridia has attached to it, it's still a sword.” Farkas stepped back a little, passing a hand thoughtfully over his mouth and glancing to the tree line. There was no hurry back to Jorrvaskr, not really, and a few lessons in swordplay might save this earnest woman's life further down the line. Returning his attention to the half-Altmer, he smiled almost sadly. “If you carry it, people are going to assume you know how to use it.”

556 words.

--------------------

PMWEBSITEAIM
^
Alasse Dorthonion
 Posted: May 14 2014, 11:59 AM
wendi,

traveler/ healer
altmer
N/A
115 posts
N/A
is Offline.

Farkas had mentioned that she hadn't done anything wrong. That was a good thing; she hated to think that she had broken any laws or anything, just because of who she was or what she looked like. At least someone else thought her reason for traveling was a good one, although it did sort of make her a bit depressed to simply conceal her Altmer bloodline until people trusted her...of course when that point came and she revealed her 'secret', it seemed backward from what she was trying to do. Still, hearing about how the Companions were chosen to join, at least Farkas could understand the reasons why she was doing what she was doing. At least someone else understands, thank the Divines for that at least. The brunette thought to herself.

As she showed the sword and explained how she acquired it, the Companion looked it over, although seemed afraid to examine it further beyond sight. Hearing him state that the dead should stay dead caused her to nod in agreement. "They should be at peace, not turned against those who lived alongside them in life." He also mentioned that there were far worse Daedric Princes to be called a champion to than Meridia; this was also true. Having the blade of the Solar Daughter, she wasn't sure how she would fair against someone who lay on the opposing side of the spectrum, one who supported those dark arts or actually worshipped the undead. That sent a shiver down her spine as she lowered the sword and her eyes met his.

What surprised her, however, was his offer to show her on how to use it. In his eyes it was still a blade, regardless on its origins. And while she tried to keep the sword a secret to show she wasn't a threat, it did give off a light which made it very noticeable. Using her numbed arm to hold Dawnbreaker in place by her side, Alasse used her free left hand to tap into her recovering magic reserves to finish healing herself; no sense in accepting a lesson being only half-capable of fighting. After a moment, her arm felt better, and at least she was able to move it again without difficulty. "I suppose it wouldn't do for a possessor of a sword to be inept in using it...especially if there is the distinct possibility I could be seeing more undead or necromantic minions in the future."

--------------------
PM
^
FARKAS
 Posted: May 14 2014, 01:15 PM
Cass,

nord
companions
353 posts
neutral
werewolf
is Offline.

Farkas shifted his weight, averting his eyes as Alasse healed herself. The half-Altmer had a fancy way of speaking, but he followed her meaning well enough. No doubt she devoured books like he devoured sweetrolls. Chances were she would likely get on well with Vilkas, if their paths ever crossed. “Aye... unfortunately I think there's high chance of you seeing more of those scum in future. Best thing you can do then is put 'em in the grave.”

Though it wasn't ideal, he would show her by example using his greatsword. Fortunately his immense strength meant that he could wield it one-handed, even if his forearm protested the weight and he was less deft than usual. “Consider this a crash course.” Farkas began. Teaching did not come naturally to him but he had practice enough working in Jorrvaskr. Other members of the Circle might refuse eager new recruits their time, but Farkas rarely had it in him to say no to those who wanted to learn. Rumour had it he was the most approachable of the senior Companions, and he was strangely proud of that reputation. “We'll start with stance. Stabbing and swinging will do you no good if you're fit to be knocked over.” Farkas drew his greatsword from where it rested on his back almost lazily, the bandit blood that still clung to the steel having since dried into dark splotches. Beneath the gauntlet, the muscles of his arm grew taut. “Your right foot should point towards the enemy, with your left slightly behind,” as he spoke, Farkas moved into the position he described, “It'll give you better balance and keep you from falling on your arse. Turn your upper body too, so your foe has less of a target.” He held the pose a moment, in order to allow Alasse to read his posture. Then the Nord relaxed, the blade's point dropping to the forest floor. He looked at the woman expectantly. “As for grip, hold your sword like a lover's hand... all gentle like.” Farkas swapped his blade from one hand to the other, to give his right wrist rest, then nodded to Alasse. “Go on then lass, try it for yourself.”

355 words.

--------------------

PMWEBSITEAIM
^
Alasse Dorthonion
 Posted: May 14 2014, 01:54 PM
wendi,

traveler/ healer
altmer
N/A
115 posts
N/A
is Offline.

While there undoubtedly was a good chance of seeing more undead in the future, Alasse merely sighed; she just had to get used to fighting them even more so now that she was the champion of Meridia. But they both agreed on one thing: the dead should stay dead, not used for evil purposes. The question came up as to why people would want to resurrect the dead was starting to etch itself into her mind, but then decided that such an inquiry would be better left unanswered, since no doubt there were people with sinister thoughts as well as having people with pure intentions.

But she supposed it was time for a lesson or two in actually using a sword, and Farkas got right to it. Listening intently, Alasse copied his stance, putting her right foot forward and her left foot back a bit. She held Dawnbreaker in her left hand, keeping her right available for the possibility of casting spells. In any case, she always had her flame atronarch before her to scout for any possible dangers ahead, and in case of a narrow passageway, the atronarch could bottleneck the passage and deal a bit more damage once it was defeated. Twisting her body a little, the half-Altmer tried to make herself look 'skinny' to the side as possible, following the Companion's instructions. But the last part about holding the hilt confused her; not having been in love before, she wasn't entirely sure what sort of a grip it was. Having it too gentle caused it to flounder about in her hand, whereas holding it too tight caused her knuckles to whiten. Okay, so a mix between the two extremes...yet I need to keep hold of it so it don't get knocked out of my hands...or at least I need to work on the grip a bit more.

So after finding a happy medium between the two, Alasse looked up at Farkas for further comment. As a bit of added stability, she slid her left leg a bit more to the side, giving her a better chance to dodge out of the way should an opponent have a similar greatsword or other large weapon that she couldn't exactly counter.

--------------------
PM
^
FARKAS
 Posted: May 14 2014, 03:20 PM
Cass,

nord
companions
353 posts
neutral
werewolf
is Offline.

Farkas rubbed his free hand thoughtfully over his stubbled chin, watching as Alasse copied his stance. Her effort was golden and the only obvious error was one of his own making. “I wasn't clear... if you're swinging left-handed your left foot should be forward.” Farkas looked apologetic as he strode over to peer more closely at the half-Altmer's hand. It was difficult to tell if the grip was correct, at least without manhandling her, but they would find out when they moved on to manoeuvres. In order to check that she wasn't going terribly wrong, Farkas slowly and purposefully raised his greatsword to bump the flat side against Meridia's blade, eyes on Alasse's wrist the entire time. What he saw satisfied him. Her hold was firm enough to handle the sword without being so tight that she was likely to injure herself when parrying a fierce blow. The Companion relaxed and nodded in encouragement. “Asides from that, your position is looking good.”

The willowy woman standing before him, in naught but a fine dress and embroidered cloak, did not look the part of the warrior. Alasse did not claim to be as much and, if he read her correctly, she did not have any great desire to master the art of combat – though of course being chosen as Meridia's champion might force her to adapt. Still, Farkas felt compelled to speak his mind. “I know you ain't asked for my advice and you sure as hell don't have to take it... but you might want to invest in some armour.” He smiled and and hammered his free fist on his broad steel-plated chest, making a deep metallic sound. “I'm heavy and slow, but something light would suit you best. You look like you'd be fast on your feet.” It did occur to him, rather vaguely, that perhaps magic was enough to keep Alasse safe from harm. But he knew next to nothing of such things and could only speak on what he knew – armour and tangible weaponry.

339 words.

--------------------

PMWEBSITEAIM
^
Alasse Dorthonion
 Posted: May 14 2014, 04:21 PM
wendi,

traveler/ healer
altmer
N/A
115 posts
N/A
is Offline.

Well, she had everything copied right, but apparently her stance was opposite of what he meant. She honestly felt her current position is a bit better suited for a possible fight; still she changed her posture when asked. Maybe this works better in case I get surrounded too. Alasse thought to herself, watching as he approached and used his greatsword to test her grip. Finding it satisfactory, the Companion had nodded, complimenting her on the adjusted position.

There was a recommendation that she acquire some light armor to better protect herself, to which she glanced down in embarrassment. Throughout her travels, she had either used the money she acquired from helping others to either give away to the poorer citizens, or to buy herself some meager supplies. Considering that Farkas was a skilled fighter wielding two weapons, he had on thicker armor to keep himself safe, but Alasse also had the feeling that simple clothes weren't going to do the job to better protect her, especially since the possibility of undead and bandits lay in the future. "No no, any advice in any form would be helpful at this point. Heavy and slow you may consider yourself to be, but you're also very strong to be wielding not just a large sword with one hand, but an axe as well. That I can respect." After a while, Alasse added, "I do know some magic aside from healing myself and others. I have some knowledge on how to cast a fire spell, and my mother taught me how to shape it into an atronarch, so I have some extra help in case I am surrounded." Maybe I can do a mixture of the two; something heavy for the chest, and lighter armor for the rest... It was a thought anyways. She wasn't sure about being light on her feet since she hadn't really seen combat until receiving the sword, but if she was to be able to survive without any help, then she had to be able to hold her own in case she was tapped out in her magical arsenal.

--------------------
PM
^
FARKAS
 Posted: May 15 2014, 04:07 AM
Cass,

nord
companions
353 posts
neutral
werewolf
is Offline.

The half-Altmer looked almost embarrassed by his suggestion. Well now, it hadn't been his intention to shame the poor lass! Vaguely it occurred to Farkas that he was in a much better position than most, that for being a hardened warrior he had a fairly easy and stable life; gold aplenty, three square meals (sometimes more) guaranteed everyday, kindly Tilma to light his candles and the Skyforge – the legendary Skyforge – at his disposal. The Companion was distracted from his train of thought when Alasse, seeming to take his unsolicited advice kindly, made mention his weapons. “Ah,” Farkas dropped his eyes to the bloodied axe, “Actually, the axe isn't mine. It was stolen and I was asked to retrieve it... normally I just carry the sword.” He didn't know why, but it seemed important to correct her. The thought of accepting compliments he had not earned did not sit easily with him. Not that the Companion was unable to wield an axe alongside a blade, it was just he preferred swords and swords alone... particularly oversized swords to match his own towering form.

Fire spells. Eiruki was able to conjure some flames but Farkas had never seen her summon an atronarch. Thank the gods for that, those things made the hairs on the back of his neck stand up on end. There was truth in the saying 'different strokes for different folks' but magic was certainly not for him. Not now, not ever. Uneducated as the Companion was in such matters, it seemed fairly advanced magic so obviously Alasse was not as defenceless as he had initially thought. Otherwise she would have perished out here already. Farkas hesitated a moment, returning to his previous train of thought. You are one bloody great bleeding heart, the Companion chastised himself, but it wasn't enough to make him hold his tongue. Kindness was not a weakness, he refused to believe it could be, at least not when it was earned. “Where are you bound for, Alasse?” Farkas asked, shifting his weight. “I'm headed back to Whiterun myself. You're welcome to share the road with me. And if you come see me in Jorrvaskr, I can get you kitted out with some armour.”

369 words.

--------------------

PMWEBSITEAIM
^
Alasse Dorthonion
 Posted: May 15 2014, 10:51 AM
wendi,

traveler/ healer
altmer
N/A
115 posts
N/A
is Offline.

"I just never expected myself to be a fighter during my travels. And I never expected to be called as someone's champion either. I suppose fate does tend to throw twists into peoples' lives...just not sure for what reason." Alasse replied. Farkas had replied that the axe wasn't his; it had been stolen and he was tasked with its retrieval. It was here she winced a bit; now it was all covered with blood and gore, and needed a good cleaning for it to be presented back to the owners. Looks like I am going to have to dress the part now, am I? She thought to herself, sighing a bit. The large sword that the Companion carried did seem to suit his rather large stature; that she could appreciate a bit. Although, wouldn't swinging a huge weapon like that tend to tire one out quicker? That made her worry. Stop it. He can handle himself. He's a Companion, a fighter in his own right. And that was saying something.

Most people tended to have some opinion as to magic, whether they embrace it or fear it. Alasse was one of those that seemed to not mind it, considering it was part of her as much as most Altmer. Although she had seen other races use it as well, so it wasn't all that bad, right? It was the degree of magic and how it was used that made it despised...such as necromancy, especially for hurting others and disturbing the dead. Focusing her mind back to the discussion at hand, Alasse caught Farkas's question and gave a shrug. "I was thinking about heading east to see what lay in that direction, but I do not mind a return trip to Whiterun, since it's closer." His last words were what really caught her attention: it was almost as if he invited her into Jorrvaskr's halls, even if it was for a set of armor. Still, a part her her didn't feel worthy enough to step through those doors even if race and creed were meaningless to the group of shield-brothers and shield-sisters. They lived and served with honor by helping those that requested their aid, which seemed more than enough.

--------------------
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
ADD REPLYNEW TOPICNEW POLL

skinned by birgitte @ caution 2.0 and shine