• WELCOME
    call of dragons is a roleplay set in the province of skyrim in tamriel and the same time frame as the game. when registering, please do so in your character's name and register in all caps. if you could, sign into all of your accounts once a day, thank you. we're a welcoming community, so don't be afraid to say hi in the cbox. feel free to browse through our rules, plot, faq and basic lore threads, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

• STATS
    STAFF
    0 male, 3 female
    ALTMER
    1 male, 3 female
    ARGONIAN
    0 male, 0 female
    BOSMER
    1 male, 3 female
    BRETON
    1 male, 1 female
    DUNMER
    1 male, 1 female
    IMPERIAL
    1 male, 0 female
    KAHJIIT
    1 male, 0 female
    NORD
    10 male, 8 female
    ORSIMER
    1 male, 0 female
    REDGUARD
    0 male, 1 female
    TOTAL
    17 male, 17 female
    UPDATES
    may 12th | with the activity check now over, we have lost a few members, but are already gaining new ones! if you see any dead threads around with inactive users, please post them here, so a staff can move them to the archives!

may 4th | activity check has been posted! please go here for more details. plus, there have been a few new rules added. go here to see them. as well as post your alias to state that you have done so!

april 13th | admin charlie has stopped being a shithead and is back.

february 23 | admin robin hiatus until post-march 9th.

january 22nd | the second activity check has concluded - many thanks to those of you that participated. if you find any dead threads or posts from deleted members, please post here!

january 12th | the awards have been posted! congratulations to everyone to received one or more! thank you to everyone to participated! keep an eye out for our next activity check.

january 3rd | we are now in the voting process of picking our award winners! you can vote here! you have until january 10th to get them in!

january 1st | happy new year from the staff of COD!

december 28th | we just want to thank everyone who participated in the activity check! if you find any dead threads, please post it here! thank you! <3

december 27th | HAPPY FIRST MONTH, CALL OF DRAGONS!

december 19th | we are now starting our very first activity check! please be sure to post or else your account will be deleted!

december 9th | we officially have an open thread directory, which is located here. if you have an open thread that is yet to be claimed, post it here and it will be added!

december 1st | we officially have the beginnings of a playlist! you can listen to it here. if you want to add to it, post suggestions here.

november 26th | call of dragons has officially opened!

• THE STAFF
    charlie

brynjolf
    rosalind the kind
    mjoll the lioness
    dredhwen
    axel the wolf
    valgier strong-heart
    robin

aerin greenwood
    colborn blackheart
    NEREIÐUR
    noriion elsinian
    gabe

asya fairechild
    lirinisa elsinian
    farengar secret-fire
    godryc lionmane
    dìsa
  • AWARDS

TBA
    male

TBA
    female

TBA
    pair

TBA
    thread

TBA
  • CREDITS
    all credit for races, locations, lore & most images goes to bethesda. credit to all location, guild and lore descriptions go to uesp: skyrim, they're amaze-balls. all images used for editing credit to bethesda. all image, graphics and coding editing credit to charlie. mini profile credit to becky of atf. i think that covers everything! please don't sue...

END OF AWARD VOTING
- DAY : - HR : - MIN : - SEC

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post ) ADD REPLYNEW TOPICNEW POLL

In the shadow of the Stone (Farkas/open)
FARKAS
 Posted: May 15 2014, 04:21 PM
I howled at the moon with friends, And then the sun came crashing in,  But all the possibilities,  No limits just epiphanies,  I'm never gonna look back,  Woah, never gonna give it up,  No, just don't wake me now,  This is gonna be the best day of my life.
Cass,

shield brother & circle member
nord
companions
353 posts
neutral
werewolf
is Offline.

we've been fighting with the wolves.
Sensing Alasse's uncertainty, though not sure what caused it, Farkas smiled encouragingly and shrugged. “Well, the offer's open. I'll be residing at Jorrvaskr until the end of my days -” though whether that day would be tomorrow or fifty years from now who could say “- so you can come looking for me any time. I can give you a better lesson in combat then, and actually get you striking at targets.” Some of his shield-siblings might find it odd, not that he cared. It would be a good deed and that was what mattered most.

It seemed to him the half-Altmer was truly getting her hands dirty exploring Skyrim, certainly she was not simply skipping comfortably from town to town via cart. It renewed his determination to set her up with some combat skills now, in case she never turned up at Jorrvaskr's door. Farkas nodded to her blade. “You're lucky, that sword is a good size, made for both thrusting and slashing.” He looked rueful, trying to imagine the willowy woman striking to kill. It was hard to imagine but, given time, she might prove entirely capable. “Talking about fighting ain't the same as actually doing it but I'll cover the basic rules now and if you have any questions, you can ask me while we walk.” Lingering in one place was never wise, especially with a dead necromancer bleeding out on the ground and no camp established. “A couple of hours should get us back to town... if you're not too tired to walk?” The beast blood made the Companion perpetually tired and yet unable to sleep; sometimes he forgot that not everyone was able to stay awake all night.

283 words.

--------------------

Some people don't think I'm smart.

They get my fist. But you, I like.

Application | Plotter | Tracker | Join the Companions
PMWEBSITEAIM
^
Alasse Dorthonion
 Posted: May 16 2014, 11:50 PM
"MAY IT BE AN EVENING STAR SHINES DOWN UPON YOU. MAY IT BE WHEN DARKNESS FALLS YOUR HEART WILL BE TRUE. YOU WALK A LONELY ROAD, OH HOW FAR YOU ARE FROM HOME."
wendi,

traveler/ healer
altmer
N/A
115 posts
neutral with stormcloak sympathies
N/A
is Offline.

What had caused her to look a bit rueful was the fact that he had used someone's weapon to help her out...and now she felt a bit responsible to clean it up at least. It was only fair, right? Farkas had stated that he would be living at Jorrvaskr until the end of his lifespan, so if she didn't decide to take up the offer now, there was always later on. At least she had an idea on what to do by then, or at least somewhat of a safe haven among honorable 'kin'.

Mostly she was just traveling to see the world, having been living in one place for most of her 'young' life...if one could consider almost a century being 'young'. Before cleansing Meridia's shrine, Alasse never expected to hold a blade - a knife for cutting meat or peeling an apple was the exception to that rule - never for stabbing or killing things. And as much as she would rather take the privilege to guard the sword, it seemed to beckon to her in a way, softly whispering that she still had a duty to do as Meridia's champion. Well, the half-Altmer tried that tonight, and it almost got her frozen solid. So the lessons on how to actually use the blade would definitely come in handy instead of just randomly swinging it around and possibly hitting something.

The Companion mentioned teaching her a bit as they headed back to Whiterun, if she wasn't tired. Alasse shook her head. "No, I am not tired. I think that brief scare would be enough to keep me awake all night...." As a bit of an offering to the Solar Daughter (and on a bit of an impulse), the brunette unsheathed the gleaming blade and after walking toward the corpse of the necromancer, impaled the blade into the heart before murmuring, "One dead necromancer for you, although I was unable to do this alone. I am learning, so next time I perhaps will not nearly die at the hands of these corrupt souls."

As if coming out of a daze, Alasse blinked a couple of times before removing the sword and wiping it clean on the dead caster's robes. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to startle you; I wasn't sure what came over me. We can leave whenever you are ready." She spoke, making her way back to where the towering Nord stood, hoping she didn't freak him out with her actions.

--------------------
PM
^
FARKAS
 Posted: Jun 13 2014, 05:48 PM
I howled at the moon with friends, And then the sun came crashing in,  But all the possibilities,  No limits just epiphanies,  I'm never gonna look back,  Woah, never gonna give it up,  No, just don't wake me now,  This is gonna be the best day of my life.
Cass,

nord
companions
353 posts
neutral
werewolf
is Offline.

The adrenaline rush that came with a necromancer attack would wake anyone up. A good thing too, for there could be other dangers out here in the wilds and they would need to have their wits about them. Farkas watched, half-warily and half-intrigued, as Alasse plunged the gleaming blade into the heart of the dead necromancer. It appeared almost ritualistic, and although he did not catch all of her words they seemed to be some sort of prayer or oath. The Daedra would have their dues, he supposed. It put the Companion in mind of Hircine and how he had neglected to worship the Prince in the Underforge recently. It was hard to love one who had taken so much from him, and the respect Farkas held for he who had given him the gift of lycanthropy was wearing dangerously thin.

There must have been something of this in his expression, for after Alasse rose and cleaned her blade, she apologised for spooking him. Farkas came back to himself and waved a hand vaguely as he murmured, “Quite all right.” Then the warrior slung his greatsword over his shoulder – he did not need it for the time being – and nodded his head in the direction they should walk in. He was curious as to what he had just witnessed but it was not his place to enquire, so instead he returned his attention to the basics of sword fighting. “Some of what I'm about to say will be painfully obvious. Either way, it's still a lot of information to take in at once, but you look bright so I'm sure you'll manage all right.” Farkas glanced across at the half-Altmer woman. If someone as dim as himself could remember this, she certainly would be able to – though admittedly he had learned it from doing rather than through study or simply being told.

“First off, look around you, and use your surroundings to your advantage if you can. At the very least pay attention enough that you don't trip up. You wouldn't be the first to make such a mistake but it could cost you your life.” Farkas paused and rolled his shoulders. He wasn't a particularly graceful fighter himself but it had been many years since had stumbled due to his own negligence. “Movement is important too. You have to keep moving. The lighter footed you are, the better, and the moment you stand still is the moment you get filled with arrows. Small controlled steps, where you can, with your weight going to the balls of your feet.” Somewhere in the trees, an owl gave a melancholic hoot and Farkas quieted briefly, silver-grey eyes looking up into the gloomy canopy above them for a moment, then returned his attention to Alasse. “Combat is frightening, so you'll probably find yourself feeling flighty. Try to stay calm, and try to learn not to flinch. Your natural reaction to danger is to tense up, so you'll need to train your body to remain responsive and loose. Practice is key. It will also help you pinpoint any tell-tale signs that might allow your opponent to judge when you are about to attack. Me? I used to breathe in real sharp and tighten my grip on my sword just before I lunged. Try to read your foes and keep your focus. They might follow a pattern of attack and allow you to predict their next move. If not, learning to feint to break through defences – for the more cautious non-aggressive attackers, at least. With aggressive attackers there's no point, they're not likely to block.”

If Farkas sounded as though he had said these words a hundred times before, it was because he had. The spiel was not verbatim by any means but it covered all of the key points he taught the newest recruits to the Companions. They came from a variety of backgrounds, with a variety of different skills in a variety of different weapons. It was always best and safest to start with the basics and work from there. It made sense to do the same with Alasse. “Like I say, practice is the best way to improve, but it's difficult to practice without wooden swords and some thick leather armour to stave off the worst of the blows.”

722 words.

--------------------

PMWEBSITEAIM
^
Alasse Dorthonion
 Posted: Jun 14 2014, 06:48 AM
"MAY IT BE AN EVENING STAR SHINES DOWN UPON YOU. MAY IT BE WHEN DARKNESS FALLS YOUR HEART WILL BE TRUE. YOU WALK A LONELY ROAD, OH HOW FAR YOU ARE FROM HOME."
wendi,

traveler/ healer
altmer
N/A
115 posts
N/A
is Offline.

After cleaning and sheathing the sword, Alasse nodded back and followed Farkas back down the path toward Whiterun while he explained more about the basics of fighting. She understood some of it already; her father had been a blacksmith by trade he had to test the stuff he made to make sure it was up to par with anything the Legion needed. But never having been taught any herself made things interesting, especially since this was the first time she really used the sword; magic had been her safety net before just to insure that nothing got through to her. Still, there may come a time when even what limited magical skills she had wouldn't help or be rendered useless, so learning the ways of the sword from a Companion should help her chance of survival...hopefully anyways.

His first bit of advice: Keep an eye on surroundings, and use them to the advantage. The half-Altmer figured she sort of did that already, using the tree for protection against the powerful ice spells while sending her atronarch out to fight on her behalf. But it was more than that; if not careful, one could trip and end up vulnerable...and quite possibly meet their end due to even that small error. Being able to move around was another; standing still was a surefire way to either get skewered or otherwise present oneself as a still target. Thankfully some of her elven blood could help with that...at least Alasse hoped so anyways. I managed to survive thus far... She thought to herself, glancing back at the Companion with a nod to show she understood what he was saying so far. One also needed to stay calm, to not be panicky and tense, as well as to start watching for signs when an opponent was about to attack. Some of the things Farkas mentioned as possible signs were the way they stood, breathed, or even held their weapon. The man also indicated that someone like him would often inhale sharply and tighten his hold before darting forward, although someone with a lighter weapon could be reacting differently. It also sounded like the more hostile an opponent, the more reckless they were when attacking.

If she were to practice, unless she was squaring off against...a tree maybe, then she needed to train with someone else, as well as get a set of protective clothing and a wooden blade to start. That way Alasse would have a point to start off of. Glancing down at her slightly torn and dirtied dress, the brunette realized that something long and flawy could get in the way and trip her up...but then if she dressed the part of a fighter, wouldn't that make her more of a target especially with Dawnbreaker gleaming at her side? I suppose I will have to see what best would work for me so I don't pose a threat to myself, yet still keep myself safe. She thought. "How long have you been a Companion? It sounds like you have been at this for quite a while." The half-Altmer inquired, giving a small smile.

--------------------
PM
^
FARKAS
 Posted: Jun 19 2014, 03:00 PM
Cass,

nord
companions
353 posts
neutral
werewolf
is Offline.

Farkas adjusted one of the leather straps that held his steel abdominal plate in place and, catching Alasse's question, tilted his head to look at her. He returned her smile almost uncertainly, wondering just how much to tell her of his history. Not that he was particularly secretive, but there was enough woe in Skyrim without every person harping on about the unfortunate hands fate had dealt them. “A bloody long time.” Farkas sighed faintly through his smile. “Been a Companion for about eighteen years now, but I have always lived in Jorrvaskr. Well, for so much of my life that I don't remember anything that came before.” Usually only recruits waiting to prove their honour, or tried and tested Companions, were allowed to reside in the mead hall so Farkas felt that statement required some explanation. “My mother died when I was a babe. My father left me and my brother with the Companions, went to war and never came back. S'pose that's what he meant to happen.”

The warrior shrugged his broad shoulders, making his steel pauldrons click quietly against his breastplate, eyes on the terrain and minding his step. You could not mourn for what you had never really known... could you? And he loved his shield-siblings, found great satisfaction in being a Companion. Perhaps a life's course was divinely ordained, its challenges and pace unavoidable. Then again, that sounded like a way of shirking responsibility for one's own actions, but there was no way to know one way or another so why waste time thinking about it. No doubt it was an issue Vilkas would have an opinion on. Farkas cast a brief glance out of the corner of his eye at the brunette. “What about you, lass? What do your parents think of you venturing around Skyrim?”

303 words.

--------------------

PMWEBSITEAIM
^
Alasse Dorthonion
 Posted: Jun 19 2014, 08:46 PM
wendi,

traveler/ healer
altmer
N/A
115 posts
N/A
is Offline.

Hearing that Farkas had been a Companion for almost two decades caused a nod of admiration. These people had a sense of honor that would put most people to shame, and for a moment, Alasse wished that her father had joined them instead of the Legion...but one can't simply turn back the hands of time now, could they? Farkas had lost his mother at a rather young age, to which she replied softly, "I am sorry for your loss, however long ago it was. I suppose that is one thing we share in common; my father fought for the Legion during the first war, and had never returned. It was my mother and I for nearly fifty years."

This in turn led to Farkas's own inquiry on how her own parent felt about seeing the world. Alasse gave a soft sigh and replied, "She was uncertain about it at first, knowing full and well that Altmer - or any Mer for that matter - were not looked kindly upon. One can thank the Thalmor for that." The brunette almost spat out that one word in distaste; how could one be so closed-minded about a group of people and how they believed in their culture so strongly to die for it? "I managed to convince her though that if she was brave enough to leave the Isle and settle here, then perhaps I share some of that adventurous spirit as well as a wish to do good...to decide my own destiny, whatever that turned out to be. My father was born and raised here in Skyrim, so I would like to think that had he lived, he would have taken us to the holds and shown us everything the land had to offer."

--------------------
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
ADD REPLYNEW TOPICNEW POLL

skinned by birgitte @ caution 2.0 and shine